Deja Thoris Awakening


Here is my attempt at the character Deja Thoris, from the Edgar Rice Burroughs series of 'Martian' books (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dejah_Thoris).

According to Wikipedia, her description is as follows:
"And the sight which met my eyes was that of a slender, girlish figure, similar in every detail to the earthly women of my past life... Her face was oval and beautiful in the extreme, her every feature was finely chiseled and exquisite, her eyes large and lustrous and her head surmounted by a mass of coal black, waving hair, caught loosely into a strange yet becoming coiffure. Her skin was of a light reddish copper color, against which the crimson glow of her cheeks and the ruby of her beautifully molded lips shone with a strangely enhancing effect. She was as destitute of clothes as the green Martians who accompanied her; indeed, save for her highly wrought ornaments she was entirely naked, nor could any apparel have enhanced the beauty of her perfect and symmetrical figure."

Essentially, a semi-nude woman wearing nothing but jewelry ^_^

Trying to be 'artistic' again, I opted for not giving her huge boobs as in most of my renders (can't promise I do such in any future renders [I'm imagining a magical pool on Mars with breast enhancing effects :) ].

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oz-

I tried that once, too - reducing the bust size to be more "artistic" - but it doesn't help. The art snobs aren't going to like your work anyway, because they're snobs, and your true fan base will just say, hey, WTF, where are the boobs?

Basically, it comes down to this - be true to yourself and your style. Your style is yours - it's a combination of what you like, and what looks "right" and "cool" to you. If you're happy with an image, that's what matters. Some people will love it, some will like it, and others will hate it, that's just the way things go.

That said, your work is excellent! You're doing great with the posing and the expressions - improvement now is going to be slow, and will likely involve the part I consider to be the worst and trickiest - the damnable lighting.

Keep it up!

-Mark
Chup@Cabra said…
Woah, thanks for the comment Mark! :-)

Yep, you're right, the two hardest things for me to do right now are lighting and postwork in photoshop (know a little of the former, none of the latter).

You're also right in that I should do what makes me happy, this is really just a hobby for me, and if others enjoy it than great; if not, I still have tons of fun making these images ^_^
jayandbi said…
Interesting character