Princess Aura Take Two







Revisiting one of my earliest images, featuring Princess Aura from "The New Adventures of Flash Gordon".  See above for that image.

I think that Filmation was probably best known for "He-Man", but they had other toons around that same time, like "Tarzan" and "Flash Gordon".

A couple of the things Filmation did to save animation time (I assume) was to 'rotoscope' actual people doing a movement (draw over an actual person), and then reuse said scenes a lot in a single episode.

I don't know who they based their 'default' female figure on, but one of the things I have noticed about pretty much all Filmation babes are that they had some killer hips and tiny waists :-)

Of course Princess Aura was my favorite (with Teela a close second :-)).  Hell, sometimes, if you looked carefully at the scenes where she and her Warrior Women were riding their 'Battle Ostriches" you could see a little 'boob bounce' animated in (surprised they got away with that :-)).

I made a short gallery of screen grabs to show how curvy she was depicted in the series:
Princess Aura Screen Captures

Also posted above are some of the commissioned images of her I have had done over the years, the very first character I ever had an artist draw in 'naughty' situations for me :-)

 Since I have a 'Lion Man' character that can stand in for 'Prince Thun', I may try my own take on the last image above.


Comments